Hofstra's Stokes receives waiver from NCAA
Hofstra Pride sophomore guard Shaquille Stokes has been granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play this season.HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Hofstra sophomore guard Shaquille Stokes has been granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play this season.
The 5-foot-10 Stokes, a native of Harlem, N.Y., transferred to Hofstra after his freshman season at the University of Hawaii.
During his season at Hawaii, Stokes averaged 8.4 points and finished second on the team in assists (66) and 3-pointers (35). He played in 30 games, starting 12, and scored a season-high 21 points twice.
Stokes played three seasons at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. During his senior year, the team compiled a 29-3 record and was the runner-up in the city championship. Stokes was named New York City's Player of the Year.
Hofstra opens the season Friday night at Monmouth.
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 2 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 26 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 4 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos