Hofstra's Stokes receives waiver from NCAA
Hofstra Pride sophomore guard Shaquille Stokes has been granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play this season.HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Hofstra sophomore guard Shaquille Stokes has been granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play this season.
The 5-foot-10 Stokes, a native of Harlem, N.Y., transferred to Hofstra after his freshman season at the University of Hawaii.
During his season at Hawaii, Stokes averaged 8.4 points and finished second on the team in assists (66) and 3-pointers (35). He played in 30 games, starting 12, and scored a season-high 21 points twice.
Stokes played three seasons at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. During his senior year, the team compiled a 29-3 record and was the runner-up in the city championship. Stokes was named New York City's Player of the Year.
Hofstra opens the season Friday night at Monmouth.
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 48 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 48 min ago
- Jordan Brown murder case goes to Pa. high court 1 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 25 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 17 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 43 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos