Hoyas' Porter sits with concussion symptoms
Georgetown forward Otto Porter has "symptoms indicative of a mild concussion" and will sit out the Hoyas' game against Liberty.WASHINGTON -- Georgetown forward Otto Porter sat out the Hoyas' 69-58 victory over Liberty on Wednesday night because of "symptoms indicative of a mild concussion" but could return for the team's next game.
Georgetown announced the sophomore would miss Wednesday's game a little more than an hour before the tipoff. Afterward, coach John Thompson III said Porter is "coming along fine" and might be able to play Monday against No. 13 UCLA in New York. Georgetown then faces No. 1 Indiana or Georgia on Tuesday.
"I think he'll be available, but that's up to our medical staff. He's progressing. It is mild," Thompson said. "It's not moderate or it's not serious."
Porter was hit in the head in the first half of Georgetown's 61-55 victory over Duquesne on Sunday. He left that game before halftime and did not return.
"After the game on Sunday, Otto exhibited symptoms indicative of a mild concussion," Thompson said in a statement released before the game against Liberty. "Otto's well-being is our first priority and he is being monitored by our sports medicine team and our doctors, who have been evaluating him daily."
Wearing a dark suit and tie, Porter sat on Georgetown's sideline alongside his teammates during Wednesday's home game. Jabril Trawick started in Porter's place and scored five points.
Porter was the Hoyas' leading returning scorer from last season, when he averaged 9.7 points.
"He's one of the key members of our team. He's one of our guys that has experience. Is it different without Otto? Absolutely. But ... we have to figure that out," Thompson said. "Regardless of who is in foul trouble, who is down, who is injured, we have enough other people in that room; we have to step up and figure that out."
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 25 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 15 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery 23 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
8 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
25 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in...
23 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos