Freshman F Peters decides to leave Kansas
Freshman forward Zach Peters has left the Kansas basketball program after a shoulder injury and series of concussions have threatened to end his career.LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Freshman forward Zach Peters has left the Kansas basketball program after a shoulder injury and series of concussions have threatened to end his career.
Peters announced his decision in a statement shortly after the 10th-ranked Jayhawks defeated San Jose State 70-57 on Monday night. Peters has sustained four concussions since his senior year of high school, including two since his arrival at Kansas.
"I hate that this is happening," Peters said. "With all the injuries, including the concussions, that I've dealt with lately, I feel like in order for me to move on and be able to get over all this, I need to go home and basically heal."
Kansas coach Bill Self said Peters went home to Plano, Texas, during the Thanksgiving break and spoke with his family before meeting with him Monday. That's when Peters informed Self that he was leaving the program to deal with his health issues.
Peters has had a rotator cuff injury in addition to his concussions.
"We have had numerous contacts with his family about this and we are all in total agreement that before Zach could move forward with any type of athletic endeavors, he needs to be in a situation where he can address his health issues," Self said.
The 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward was a highly sought recruit from Prestonwood Christian Academy, where he was a four-time all-state selection in the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. He also played wide receiver on the football team.
Peters was expected to be a contributor off the bench this season. He averaged 5.0 points and 6.3 rebounds on a four-game trip to Switzerland and France over the summer.
"This is unfortunate for Zach and our team," Self said. "I personally thought that Zach had a chance to be a very good player at the University of Kansas. It's a shame that these health issues have kept him from doing so."
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 47 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 36 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 49 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 41 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos