Hoyas, Gators won't resume canceled game
Georgetown and Florida will not resume playing their postponed Nov. 9 opener because a new date could not be agreed upon, a Georgetown spokesperson told ESPN.com Wednesday.Georgetown and Florida will not resume playing their postponed Nov. 9 opener because a new date could not be agreed upon, a Georgetown spokesperson told ESPN.com Wednesday.
Georgetown coach John Thompson III said through a spokesperson that the Hoyas couldn't figure out an appropriate date with Florida and informed the Gators administration and the officials in Jacksonville who organized the event on the USS Bataan.
Florida led Georgetown, 27-23, at halftime when the game was called because of moisture on the outdoor court. Florida coach Billy Donovan said last week he wanted to resume the game, and officials from the Gators offered up a pair of dates early next month -- either Jan. 2 or Jan. 3 -- when both schools were off.
But the Hoyas didn't want to play a game so close to their Big East opener at Marquette on Jan. 5, claiming they would prefer to resume the contest during the final week of December.
Thompson said last week in Brooklyn that he wasn't sure why the game had to be back in Jacksonville instead of a naval facility in Norfolk. He also wasn't sure if the game had to be resumed or could be started over.
Regardless, like the canceled Ohio State-Marquette game on the same night but in Charleston, S.C., the Hoyas-Gators game won't be played.
Georgetown, Florida, Ohio State and Marquette all have plenty of high-profile games in their respective conferences and won't miss losing out on high-level non-conference game when it comes time for the NCAA tournament selection process in March.
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 16 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos