Saint Joseph's suspends Kanacevic for gesture
Saint Joseph's has suspended junior forward Halil Kanacevic for two games and a week of practice for unsportsmanlike conduct against Villanova.PHILADELPHIA -- Saint Joseph's has suspended junior forward Halil Kanacevic for two games and a week of practice for unsportsmanlike conduct against Villanova.
Coach Phil Martelli announced the punishment Wednesday. Kanacevic will miss the Dec. 22 game against Fairfield and the Dec. 28 game against Iona. He will not participate in any team activities for a week, with the exception of Saint Joe's annual Christmas charity event.
Kanacevic can return to practice and team activities Dec. 19 for St. Joe's (5-3), and will be eligible to play Dec. 31 at Drexel.
He made an obscene gesture toward the Villanova student section after hitting a 3-pointer in a 65-61 loss on Tuesday night.
"There is no place for obscene gestures or personal outbursts directed at anyone," Martelli said. "We have always sought to conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to our university and to our opponents, and this behavior was unacceptable and inexcusable, even in the heat of the moment."
"My actions were wrong and embarrassing and I strongly regret them," he said. "I made a mistake and I accept total responsibility for my behavior. I am sorry for the harm caused to my teammates and coaches and my actions were unbecoming of a member of our community. I sincerely apologize to both universities and to everyone who saw the game."
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos