Charlotte dismisses guard Mayfield from team
Charlotte director of athletics Judy Rose has announced that junior guard DeMario Mayfield has been dismissed from the men's basketball team for violation of athletic department policy.CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte director of athletics Judy Rose has announced that junior guard DeMario Mayfield has been dismissed from the men's basketball team for violation of athletic department policy.
Mayfield has been suspended since Jan. 30 when he violated school rules for a third time in two seasons.
Mayfield was averaging a team-high 11.7 points with 3.6 rebounds this season before he was suspended indefinitely. He recorded 14 double-figure scoring games this season and 33 for his career. A transfer from Georgia, Mayfield was playing in his second season with the 49ers.
The school says he earned his degree from Charlotte in December.
Coach Alan Major said Friday that "the coaching staff wants to wish DeMario the best in his future endeavors. We will continue to move forward as a team."
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 55 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos