Jackson State hires ex-high school coach Brent
Jackson State has hired Wayne Brent to be its men's basketball coach.JACKSON, Miss. -- Jackson State has hired Wayne Brent to be its men's basketball coach.
The 45-year-old Brent is an accomplished high school coach, winning four state championships in six seasons with Callaway High School in Jackson. He was also an assistant coach at Mississippi for four seasons in the late 1990s and early 2000s, helping the Rebels advance to the NCAA tournament three times.
Brent was introduced on Monday, and will have a strong nucleus to work with next season, including guards Dundrecous Nelson (Ole Miss) and Julysses Nobles (Arkansas), who will both be eligible after transferring from the Southeastern Conference. He'll also have several returning players from last year's team that finished with an 11-18 record.
Brent takes over for Tevester Anderson, who retired after 10 seasons leading the Tigers.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 46 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 2 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos