Saunders turns down Gophers job, source says
ESPN analyst and former NBA coach Flip Saunders has turned down a job offer from the Minnesota Golden Gophers to be their next head coach, a source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Saturday.
ESPN analyst and former NBA coach Flip Saunders has turned down an offer from Minnesota to be the next head coach at his alma mater, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Saturday.
Minnesota is searching to fill a vacancy created when Tubby Smith was fired Monday, a day after the Gophers lost to Florida in the NCAA tournament. Smith coached six seasons for Minnesota.
Minnesota had also targeted Virginia Commonwealth's Shaka Smart, Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg and Butler's Brad Stevens to no avail, with Smart and Hoiberg agreeing to new contracts at their current schools.
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 4 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
52 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos