Toledo's Nichols, MAC's winningest coach, dies
The Mid-American Conference record holder for men's basketball coaching victories has died. Former Toledo coach Bob Nichols was 82.
TOLEDO, Ohio -- The Mid-American Conference record holder for men's basketball coaching victories has died. Former Toledo coach Bob Nichols was 82.
Toledo University's athletic department says Nichols died on Saturday. A cause of death was not released.
Nichols led the Rockets to three NCAA Tournament appearances and won 376 games in 22 seasons at Toledo from 1965 through 1987.
He also won five Mid-American Conference titles at Toledo, where he played basketball in the early 1950s.
Nichols was fired by Toledo in 1987, after two losing seasons.
The basketball floor at the school's arena is named in his honor.
A funeral will be held Friday in Toledo.
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 29 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 9 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 25 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 27 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 23 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos