Byington named coach at Georgia Southern
Georgia Southern has named former Virginia Tech assistant Mark Byington as coach of the Eagles.STATESBORO, Ga. -- Georgia Southern has named former Virginia Tech assistant Mark Byington as coach of the Eagles men's basketball team.
Byington spent the 2012-13 season at Virginia Tech after working as an assistant at the College of Charleston for nine years. His time at the College of Charleston included seven seasons under Bobby Cremins, also the former Georgia Tech coach. Byington was 7-4 as Charleston's interim coach in the 2011-12 season after Cremins took a leave of absence.
Byington replaces Charlton "C.Y." Young, who was fired after posting a 43-84 record in four seasons. The Eagles were 14-19 overall and 7-11 in Southern Conference play this season.
Georgia Southern athletic director Tom Kleinlein says Byington, a 1998 graduate of UNC Wilmington, has the experience and work ethic "to elevate" the program.
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos