New Mexico chooses Neal to replace Alford
New Mexico has hired Craig "Noodles" Neal to replace his close friend Steve Alford as coach of the Lobos.New Mexico has hired Craig "Noodles" Neal to replace his close friend Steve Alford as coach of the Lobos.
Neal will sign a five-year contract worth $750,000 annually, plus incentives. The deal will make Neal one of the four highest-paid coaches in the Mountain West Conference.
New Mexico will hold a news conference to announce Neal as coach Wednesday, four days after Alford left the Lobos to accept the coaching job at UCLA. Alford was introduced at UCLA on Tuesday.
Neal was the overwhelming choice by the players and Alford to succeed him. Neal said privately that he was confident the five starters would return if he were named coach.
The Lobos won the Mountain West Conference regular-season and conference tournament titles this past season but were upset by 14th-seeded Harvard in the NCAA tournament's round of 64.
Neal was with Alford at Iowa and the past six seasons at New Mexico, and was considered a co-architect of the Lobos' resurgence. Neal was a finalist with Brian Gregory a year ago for his alma mater, Georgia Tech.
This will be Neal's first head-coaching job in Division I.
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 7 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 15 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
17 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
15 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos