Larkin to pass up final two seasons at Miami
Miami sophomore guard Shane Larkin, a likely first-round pick, will declare for the NBA draft.
Larkin's father Barry, the Hall of Fame baseball player and ESPN analyst, said Friday that his son indicated to him he will announce his intentions to declare. Shane Larkin scheduled a Sunday 6 p.m. ET news conference at the university, but that could be moved up now that his decision is known.
Sunday is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. Under new NCAA rules, once a player officially declares he cannot return to school.
"All indications are he's going into the draft, unless he has an epiphany," the elder Larkin told The Associated Press. "All of the information he has received is that this is the time for him to come out. He's not 100-percent committed. He wants to talk to the coaches first. But if nothing changes, he's going to declare for the draft."
Larkin averaged 14.5 points, 4.6 assists and 2.3 turnovers in leading the Hurricanes to unprecedented ACC regular-season and tournament championships. The Canes reached the Sweet 16 before losing to Marquette.
Larkin was a front-runner for ACC player of the year honors, but the award went to Erick Green of last-place Virginia Tech. Larkin was named a second-team AP All-American.
NBA advisers have told the 5-foot-10.5 Larkin they project him to be drafted somewhere from the middle of the first round to early in the second, Barry Larkin said.
"It's a business decision at this point," the elder Larkin said.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos