Ex-Rutgers coach Rice receiving counseling
Former Rutgers coach Mike Rice has spent the past two weeks at John Lucas' Wellness and Aftercare Program in Houston, Lucas told ESPN.com Monday.
Former Rutgers coach Mike Rice has spent the past two weeks at John Lucas' Wellness and Aftercare Program in Houston, Lucas told ESPN.com on Monday.
Lucas said Rice is receiving counseling for anger management and that there is no set timetable for his stay. Rice is also working with former college players who are going through Lucas' pre-NBA draft camp.
"He's doing great," Lucas said. "His attitude has been phenomenal, and our kids love his intensity and his passion for the game. He's happy to be having this chance to give back a little bit."
Lucas declined to answer further questions and said Rice will not be granting any interviews during his time in Houston.
Rice was fired in April after videos surfaced of him shoving players during practice, throwing basketballs at them and calling them gay slurs. Athletic director Tim Pernetti subsequently resigned as well.
Lucas is a former NBA standout whose career was derailed by substance abuse issues. His facility, which opened more than two decades ago, helps athletes and coaches conquer a variety of problems, including issues with drugs and alcohol, addictions to food and sex, weight and work ethic issues along with anger management.
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 9 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos