Ex-Rutgers coach Rice receiving counseling
Former Rutgers coach Mike Rice has spent the past two weeks at John Lucas' Wellness and Aftercare Program in Houston, Lucas told ESPN.com Monday.
Former Rutgers coach Mike Rice has spent the past two weeks at John Lucas' Wellness and Aftercare Program in Houston, Lucas told ESPN.com on Monday.
Lucas said Rice is receiving counseling for anger management and that there is no set timetable for his stay. Rice is also working with former college players who are going through Lucas' pre-NBA draft camp.
"He's doing great," Lucas said. "His attitude has been phenomenal, and our kids love his intensity and his passion for the game. He's happy to be having this chance to give back a little bit."
Lucas declined to answer further questions and said Rice will not be granting any interviews during his time in Houston.
Rice was fired in April after videos surfaced of him shoving players during practice, throwing basketballs at them and calling them gay slurs. Athletic director Tim Pernetti subsequently resigned as well.
Lucas is a former NBA standout whose career was derailed by substance abuse issues. His facility, which opened more than two decades ago, helps athletes and coaches conquer a variety of problems, including issues with drugs and alcohol, addictions to food and sex, weight and work ethic issues along with anger management.
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 27 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 42 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos