Auburn dismisses Shaq Johnson after arrest
Auburn has dismissed guard Shaq Johnson from the basketball team for violating unspecified team rules.
AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn has dismissed guard Shaq Johnson from the basketball team for violating unspecified team rules.
Auburn police arrested Johnson early Thusday morning and charged him with possessing less than an ounce of marijuana, a misdemeanor, said Lee County Sheriff Office spokesman captain Corey Welch.
Coach Tony Barbee announced the sophomore's dismissal on Thursday. Barbee says he is "very disappointed in Shaq's choices and actions, and they won't be tolerated."
He says the dismissal "is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete."
Johnson played in all 32 games as a freshman, starting 21. He averaged 6.2 points in Southeastern Conference games and played 18 minutes per contest.
Johnson is the 12th player who has transferred or left Auburn under Barbee since December 2010, a list that includes Varez Ward, who was charged with point shaving, and Jerome Seagears, who was at Auburn for three weeks this past spring before returning to Rutgers.
Information from ESPN.com's Andy Katz, Eamonn Brennan and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos