Auburn dismisses Shaq Johnson after arrest
Auburn has dismissed guard Shaq Johnson from the basketball team for violating unspecified team rules.
AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn has dismissed guard Shaq Johnson from the basketball team for violating unspecified team rules.
Auburn police arrested Johnson early Thusday morning and charged him with possessing less than an ounce of marijuana, a misdemeanor, said Lee County Sheriff Office spokesman captain Corey Welch.
Coach Tony Barbee announced the sophomore's dismissal on Thursday. Barbee says he is "very disappointed in Shaq's choices and actions, and they won't be tolerated."
He says the dismissal "is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete."
Johnson played in all 32 games as a freshman, starting 21. He averaged 6.2 points in Southeastern Conference games and played 18 minutes per contest.
Johnson is the 12th player who has transferred or left Auburn under Barbee since December 2010, a list that includes Varez Ward, who was charged with point shaving, and Jerome Seagears, who was at Auburn for three weeks this past spring before returning to Rutgers.
Information from ESPN.com's Andy Katz, Eamonn Brennan and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 59 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 45 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 51 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos