Tarkanian leaving hospital after 11-day stay
Former UNLV basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian was wrapping up an 11-day stay in a San Diego-area hospital after suffering artery blockages and having a pacemaker installed.
LAS VEGAS -- Former UNLV basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian was wrapping up an 11-day stay in a San Diego-area hospital after suffering artery blockages and having a pacemaker installed.
The 82-year-old coach's son, Danny Tarkanian, told The Associated Press his father was set to leave Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla on Wednesday. He planned to return to his San Diego-area condominium, a part-time home where he receives in-house nursing care.
"He's doing well and we're glad to get him back home," said the younger Tarkanian.
In addition to the pacemaker, the former coach had some stents put in, his son said.
The stay marked the latest in a spate of hospitalizations in recent years for Tarkanian.
He suffered a heart attack on March 20, 2012, during a doctor's visit, and spent time in the hospital last November, according to his son.
Tarkanian is to be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass., on Sept. 8. He took three schools to the NCAA tournament but is best known for his teams at UNLV that made four Final Four appearances and won it all in 1990.
Tarkanian won 784 games in his career, 509 of them at UNLV. The Runnin' Rebels won at least 20 games every year but one in his 19 years at UNLV, including the national championship in 1990.
During his career, Tarkanian was frequently at odds with the NCAA and was the subject of several investigations by the NCAA.
In 1998, the NCAA paid Tarkanian $2.5 million to settle a lawsuit claiming it singled out the UNLV program for investigation and penalized it unfairly three times.
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 10 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 2 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 19 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 56 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 22 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos