Owens, No. 44 prospect in '15, commits to UCF
Central Florida has landed a commitment from Alex Owens, one of the top big men in the Class of 2015.
The 6-foot-8.5, 240-pound Owens, who plays at Oak Ridge High in Orlando, is ranked 44th overall by ESPN.com. He said that Louisville's Rick Pitino and Florida's Billy Donovan had both been to see him in the last two weeks, and that Missouri, Vanderbilt, Marquette and Florida State had also expressed interest.
"I wanted to stay close to home and be near my family," Owens told ESPN.com. "I really like coach [Donnie] Jones, their staff and how they are with the players. I just felt different about them than the other schools."
Owens said that UCF's move from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference was key.
"They play in the same league as Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn," Owens said. "Louisville won the national title last year. I'm hoping that I can help take this program to another level."
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 58 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos