KU's Tharpe banned for illegal summer game
Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe has been suspended for the Jayhawks' season opener Nov. 8 against Louisiana-Monroe after playing in an unauthorized summer league game in Chicago.
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe has been suspended for the Jayhawks' season opener Nov. 8 against Louisiana-Monroe after playing in an unauthorized summer league game in Chicago.
Tharpe, who is expected to start at point guard, did not seek permission from Kansas to play in the game. Under NCAA rules, players are only allowed to play in summer league games from their home area or close to where they attend school.
Kansas coach Bill Self said after a 97-57 exhibition victory over Pittsburg State on Tuesday night that the school self-reported the violation. Tharpe will be allowed to play in next week's exhibition finale against Fort Hays State before serving his suspension.
Tharpe, a junior, averaged 5.5 points and 3.1 assists last season.
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos