Robinson, No. 28 prospect, headed to Florida
Florida picked up its third ESPN 100 commitment Wednesday when Devin Robinson, the 28th-ranked prospect in the Class of 2014, announced his commitment to the Gators.
The Chesterfield, Va., native chose Florida over offers from Indiana, Notre Dame and Oklahoma State. Robinson joins Brandone Francis (Jacksonville, Fla./Arlington Country Day), the No. 8 shooting guard and No. 27 overall prospect, and Chris Chiozza (Memphis/White Station), the No. 9 point guard and No. 42 overall prospect.
"Coach [Billy] Donovan has a record of developing his players and helps get them to the NBA. That's my ultimate goal," Robinson said.
Robinson visited Gainesville on Oct. 12 and was won over by Donovan's down-to-earth approach.
"I really connected with Coach Donovan. He gets straight to the point, and I need that and I like that," said Robinson, who is the eighth-ranked small forward in his class. "I really felt I could trust him."
During his visit, he was hosted by Michael Frazier, who helped sell the program.
"Michael is a big brother figure to me and told me to be ready to work if I come to Florida," Robinson said.
The Gators are getting a long, athletic forward who can pass and shoot well from behind the arc. He blossomed this summer and has one of the highest ceilings in his class. The 6-foot-8, 180-pound small forward still needs to develop his body and adapt to the physicality and speed of the game, but once he does, he'll be a star at the next level.
As a junior, Robinson led his Christchurch (Va.) School team to a VISAA Division II championship; the school's first in 30 years. He was named VISAA Division II player of the year.
In the offseason, Robinson played for the AAU program Richmond Squires, which he credits for helping him develop confidence in his game.
"It put me on the big stage and gave me a platform to succeed," Robinson said.
With Robinson, Francis and Chiozza, Florida has assembled a talented perimeter.
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 32 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 14 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 32 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up 30 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
32 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
32 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
32 min ago
- Milder Monday
19 min ago