Ducks suspend Artis, Carter for selling shoes
Oregon arrived Wednesday afternoon without two key players for the season opener against Georgetown after both were suspended for selling shoes provided to them by the university, according to the school.
SEOUL, South Korea -- Oregon arrived Wednesday afternoon without two key players for its season opener against Georgetown after both were suspended for selling shoes provided to them by the university, according to the school.
The No. 19 Ducks play Georgetown on Saturday morning at Camp Humphreys (Friday at 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN) in the Armed Forces Classic.
Oregon's staff told ESPN upon arrival that the violation had been under investigation since early October.
Artis and Carter will have to donate to charity the money they received for selling the shoes, per NCAA rules. The money will be paid on a payment plan.
Oregon coach Dana Altman, who appeared on the ESPNU college basketball podcast Monday, was holding out hope for a final ruling before the team left Eugene on Tuesday.
The NCAA and Oregon were working on a resolution in the three days prior to departing for Seoul. Oregon senior associate athletic director Craig Pintens said the school learned during the course of the investigation that Artis and Carter wouldn't be allowed to travel but they waited for clarification from the NCAA.
Altman said the two players have been no trouble since they arrived but they "made a mistake."
Artis' absence also could mean more time for Jalil Abdul-Bassit.
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 55 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 30 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 51 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
55 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos