Harvard's Smith to miss time with foot injury
Harvard, coming off the most successful season in its college basketball history, might lose big man Kenyatta Smith for much of its non-conference schedule because of an injury to the starter's left foot, sources said Monday.
Harvard, coming off the most successful season in its college basketball history, might lose big man Kenyatta Smith for much of its nonconference schedule because of an injury to his left foot, sources said Monday.
Crimson coach Tommy Amaker told ESPN.com that Smith is out indefinitely. The 6-foot-8 junior, who sat out Sunday's season opener, started 15 games in 2012-13 and was expected to start for Harvard this season and give the team a low-post presence.
Harvard struggled in the opener, pulling away from Holy Cross late for an 82-72 victory in the third and final game of a Massachusetts tripleheader at TD Banknorth Garden. The Crimson won 20 games last season and upset No. 3 seed New Mexico for its first-ever NCAA tournament victory. They're expected to contend again for the Ivy League title.
Amaker started Steve Moundou-Missi against Holy Cross and he finished with four points and three rebounds in 14 minutes. Reserve forward Jonah Travis led Harvard with 20 points and 10 rebounds, but the Crimson will miss sorely Smith for his ability to score in the post and also his shot-blocking capabilities.
Zena Edosomwan, a 6-9 freshman who played just four minutes Sunday, is expected to get more minutes with Smith out of the lineup.
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 30 min ago
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos