ACC tourney returning to Washington in '16
The Atlantic Coast Conference will play its men's basketball tournament in Washington in 2016.
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Atlantic Coast Conference will play its men's basketball tournament in Washington in 2016.
Commissioner John Swofford said Wednesday that the Verizon Center will host the tournament for the second time. It also hosted in 2005.
The ACC did not announce any sites beyond that. The 2014 and '15 tournaments will be played in Greensboro, N.C.
Swofford said last month at the ACC's preseason media day that there had been discussion about bringing the tournament to New York, calling it a "prominent part" of the 15-team league's geographic reach with the arrivals of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.
The Verizon Center is located roughly 10 miles from Maryland's main campus in College Park. Maryland is leaving the ACC for the Big Ten in 2014.
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos