UNO changes course, opts to remain Division I
University of New Orleans President Peter Fos says the school will halt its transition to NCAA Division II status and instead remain in Division I.NEW ORLEANS -- University of New Orleans president Peter Fos says the school will halt its transition to NCAA Division II status and instead remain in Division I.
Fos said Thursday that remaining at the highest level of college sports will help the New Orleans metropolitan area's main public university attract more students and boost community involvement.
While UNO was part of the LSU system, budget crunches after Hurricane Katrina led to debatable decisions by former school officials to pursue a lower level of athletic competition as a means to save money, and in 2010 UNO withdrew from the Division I Sun Belt Conference.
However, UNO has since moved to the University of Louisiana system and installed new leadership, including Fos, who pledges to give UNO student-athletes the resources they need to succeed.
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Jordan Brown murder case goes to Pa. high court 14 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 38 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 30 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 7 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos