UT-Pan American accepts invitation to join WAC
The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.EDINBURG, Texas -- The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.
The university announced the decision Wednesday. All 14 of the school's sports programs will compete in the conference, including men's and women's basketball and baseball.
In addition to UTPA, WAC membership for 2013-2014 is scheduled to include Cal State-Bakersfield, Chicago State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Seattle and Utah Valley.
UTPA athletic teams, with the exception of men's tennis and golf, have been competing in the Great West Conference. The Broncs were previously members of the Sun Belt Conference.
The UTPA baseball program has competed in the NCAA tournament 13 times and produced 32 players drafted by major league clubs.
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos