UT-Pan American accepts invitation to join WAC
The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.EDINBURG, Texas -- The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.
The university announced the decision Wednesday. All 14 of the school's sports programs will compete in the conference, including men's and women's basketball and baseball.
In addition to UTPA, WAC membership for 2013-2014 is scheduled to include Cal State-Bakersfield, Chicago State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Seattle and Utah Valley.
UTPA athletic teams, with the exception of men's tennis and golf, have been competing in the Great West Conference. The Broncs were previously members of the Sun Belt Conference.
The UTPA baseball program has competed in the NCAA tournament 13 times and produced 32 players drafted by major league clubs.
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 51 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos