Wash. St. coach misses win for appendectomy
Despite missing its coach to an appendectomy Thursday, Washington State beat Arizona State 48-41 in the opening round of the Pac-12 Conference tournament.Despite missing its coach because of an appendectomy on Thursday, Washington State beat Arizona State 48-41 in the opening round of the Pac-12 Conference tournament.
Washington State coach June Daugherty missed the game with acute appendicitis.
The school said Daugherty was having surgery Thursday evening and was expected to be discharged Friday morning.
Lia Galdeira scored 17 points and Dawnyelle Awa added 10 for the eighth-seeded Cougars (11-19), who moved on to face No. 1 seed and fourth-ranked Stanford on Friday.
Janae Fulcher led the No. 9 seed Sun Devils (13-18) with 20 points. Promise Amukamara grabbed 14 rebounds but was just 1-of-12 shooting, part of a 29 percent team effort for ASU.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos