Duke hoops hires Van Gorp, promotes Planells
Duke women's basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie has promoted Hernando Planells to assistant coach and hired Michele Van Gorp as director of recruiting operations.
DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke women's basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie has promoted Hernando Planells to assistant coach and hired Michele Van Gorp as director of recruiting operations.
Planells spent last year, his first at Duke, as director of relations. He replaces Joy Cheek, who left her alma mater to become an assistant at Ohio State.
Planells will coach the guards along with assistant Candice Jackson. He has coached in high school, the NBA's D-League and in Japan, and served as a scout for former NBA director of scouting Marty Blake.
Van Gorp spent last season as director of basketball operations at Georgia Tech. She's a former Duke all-American who played in the 1999 NCAA final and was the first Duke player drafted in the WNBA.
She replaces Sarah Smoak, an assistant at Coastal Carolina.
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos