Xavier coach Waugh quits prior to 3rd season
Xavier women's basketball coach Amy Waugh resigned on Wednesday after two difficult seasons trying to rebuild the program.
Updates with quotes, details.
By JOE KAY
AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI -- Xavier women's basketball coach Amy Waugh resigned on Wednesday after two difficult seasons trying to rebuild the program.
The Musketeers went 21-36 during Waugh's two seasons. She was a point guard for Xavier from 1999-2003, part of its first Elite Eight women's team. She returned in 2009 as an assistant to Kevin McGuff, who helped the Musketeers become a nationally prominent team with players Amber Harris, Ta'Shia Phillips and Special Jennings.
All three graduated after the 2010-11 season ended with a second-round upset to Louisville in the NCAA tournament. McGuff left for Washington, leaving behind a team short on experience, depth and stars -- only one returning starter.
Waugh became the head coach and started trying to rebuild the team back into a winner. McGuff was hired as Ohio State's head coach in April.
"I have been wrestling with this decision through the summer," Waugh said in a statement. "There is no perfect timing, but with practice getting started and our fall break on campus, this was the time to make my decision. I frankly need to hit the pause button and will use the season to focus on my future."
Brian Neal, in his third year as an assistant, was elevated to interim head coach on Wednesday. Neal was head coach for seven seasons at Thomas More in Cincinnati before joining Waugh's staff.
"This was a difficult decision for Amy and I wish her the best going forward," athletics director Greg Christopher said. "Amy has been a big part of Xavier women's basketball as both a player and coach. She walked into a challenging situation and has worked hard to rebuild the program for future success."
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos