Coach Pennell, president Cox leave Mercury
Phoenix Mercury interim coach Russ Pennell and President Amber Cox will not return to the organization.
PHOENIX -- Phoenix Mercury interim coach Russ Pennell and president Amber Cox will not return to the organization.
Pennell is leaving to pursue a return to college coaching and Cox has left to pursue other opportunities, the team said Friday.
The Mercury have yet to name replacements.
Pennell became the interim coach after Phoenix fired Corey Gaines in August. The Mercury went 9-4 after opening 10-11 and reached the Western Conference Finals, where they lost to Minnesota.
Pennell was the interim coach at the University of Arizona in 2008-09 and spent four seasons at Grand Canyon University.
Cox had been with the team since 2005, becoming chief operating officer in 2010 and president in 2011.
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 2 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos