Duke's Cutcliffe agrees to long-term extension
Duke football coach David Cutcliffe has agreed to a contract extension through June 2019, the school announced Wednesday.
Duke coach David Cutcliffe has agreed to a contract extension through June 2019, the school announced Wednesday.
Cutcliffe just led the Blue Devils to bowl eligibility for the first time since the 1994 season. His name had been floating through the coaching carousel in recent weeks, and some had speculated he could be a candidate at Tennessee.
But Cutcliffe has reiterated his commitment to Duke and has now re-signed for the long term.
"Without question, we have already made great discernible progress since David's arrival," Duke athletic director Kevin White said in a statement. "However, as we assess our future -- based on prospect evaluations, ongoing recruitment activity and player development -- we are extremely excited, if not euphoric! To be sure, 'Coach Cut' represents just a great fit at Duke. David and the staff have done an exemplary job of leading the program, while subscribing to the highest intuitional ideals, both academically and athletically."
Cutcliffe, who is in his fifth season at Duke, has led the Blue Devils to a 6-5 record -- including a 5-1 mark at home. His team has been the most pleasant surprise in the ACC this season.
"This business is about people, and Karen and I could not be happier with the people we've associated ourselves with here at Duke," Cutcliffe said in a statement. "President (Richard) Brodhead and Kevin White are the best of the best, and we are grateful for their support as we continue to build Duke's football program. We've accomplished some of the goals we laid out five years ago, but are nowhere close to where we want to be."
During his time at Duke, Cutcliffe has guided his teams to 21 wins -- 11 more than the program's total in the previous eight years.
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 54 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 21 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos