'Honey Badger' says he'll enter NFL draft
Former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu plans to announce Thursday he is entering the next NFL draft.
Former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu announced Thursday he is entering the next NFL draft.
In a statement announcing his decision, Mathieu said, "it is time for me to move forward."
Mathieu thanked his parents and coach Les Miles in his statement, as well as his former LSU teammates.
"I am sorry that I was not able to complete my journey at LSU, but I will always support LSU in any way I can. To my teammates, you are my brothers. You have kept me going. I will do my best to make you all proud of me," he said.
Mathieu, known as the "Honey Badger," was a Heisman Trophy finalist known for his knack for making plays last year. But the 20-year-old Mathieu was suspended for this season due to a substance abuse issue he has continued to work on.
Mathieu was arrested last month on a possession of marijuana charge. He also was dismissed from the football team in August for failing a drug test and entered a treatment program run by former NBA player John Lucas.
Instead of transferring to another lower-division school to play this season, Mathieu re-enrolled at LSU but is not playing football.
Mathieu thanked LSU fans for their continued support and said he was working on his personal problems.
"I am committed to tackling my personal issues and will work to better myself every day as a man first and only then as a football player. I will always consider myself an LSU Tiger," he said.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ