Notre Dame's Diaco named winner of Broyles
Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco has won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach.LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco has won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach.
Notre Dame's defense under Diaco has allowed the fewest touchdowns in the country this season and is sixth overall in total defense. The top-ranked Fighting Irish take on No. 2 Alabama for the Discover BCS National Championship on Jan. 7 in Miami.
The Broyles Award, announced Tuesday, is named for former Arkansas coach Frank Broyles, whose assistant coaches included Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs and Jackie Sherrill.
Other finalists this season were Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, Texas A&M offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason.
Last year's Broyles Award went to LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos