Strong says he will remain coach at Louisville
Charlie Strong has told both Louisville and Tennessee that he will remain coach of the Cardinals.
Charlie Strong will remain as the coach of the Louisville football team, he announced Thursday.
Strong had been deciding whether to accept an offer from Tennessee worth at least $3.5 million annually, sources said, but Strong turned down the Vols and will return to UL.
"I know the best decision is to stay here to continue to build and work to fulfill our dreams. My enthusiasm and heart are with the University of Louisville," Strong said Thursday.
Strong has been Tennessee's No. 1 target, and sources said the Vols thought they had Strong locked up Monday. However, Louisville was working on extending Strong's five-year deal, worth about $2.3 million a year, sources said.
Louisville has not yet announced an extension agreement with Strong.
"All I'm gonna say is I'm not worried about my coach," Louisville center Mario Benavides tweeted after Wednesday's team meeting. "We are a family."
Ever since Strong's name has been linked to other openings, Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich has said multiple times he would do whatever was necessary to keep Strong.
In three seasons at Louisville, Strong is 24-14. This year, he led the Cardinals to a 10-2 record, a share of the Big East title and a berth in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Florida, where Strong was a former defensive coordinator.
ESPN.com's Andrea Adelson, Chris Low and Joe Schad contributed to this report.
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 18 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 17 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice 37 min ago
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 20 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
48 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park...
18 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
17 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos