Showers, Manziel's backup, to transfer to UTEP
Jameill Showers, the quarterback Johnny Manziel beat out to become the starter at Texas A&M last season, is transferring to UTEP and will be eligible to play next season.EL PASO, Texas -- Jameill Showers, the quarterback Johnny Manziel beat out to become the starter at Texas A&M last season, is transferring to UTEP and will be eligible to play next season.
New Miners coach Sean Kugler announced Wednesday that Showers would be joining the program and will have two years of eligibility left. Showers is eligible to play immediately because he is on target to graduate from Texas A&M in June. He will take graduate classes at UTEP.
Showers, from Killeen, Texas, competed with Manziel for the starting job in the spring and preseason last year, but ended up as the backup to the Heisman Trophy winner. Showers was 27 for 44 for 319 yards and two touchdown passes in limited playing time for the Aggies. He also ran nine times for 39 yards.
In 2011, Showers backed up Ryan Tannehill, who ended up being drafted in the first round by the Miami Dolphins.
Kugler, a former UTEP player and coach, was hired in December after Mike Price retired.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos