Tulane signs LB after mom rejects Texas Tech
Linebacker Edward Williams signed with Tulane on Saturday after a long process that saw his mother refuse to sign her son's letter of intent to Texas Tech.Linebacker Edward Williams signed with Tulane on Saturday after a long process that saw his mother decline to sign her son's letter of intent to Texas Tech.
Williams, from New Orleans' Warren Easton, wanted to sign with Texas Tech on National Signing Day on Feb. 6, but his mother wanted him closer to home.
"Right now things have been shaky, because my mother does not want me to go to Texas Tech," Williams told PelicanPreps.com last month. "She has her reasons, but I still prefer to be in Lubbock. She really wants me to go to Tulane, but I do not like it there. So it has to be where I am happy."
The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Williams also received late offers from Oklahoma and Miami, but he eventually decided to stay home.
"I felt like the ball was in my hands," Williams told The Times-Picayune. "I felt like I could sign when I wanted to sign."
Williams felt he could trust second-year Tulane coach Curtis Johnson, while Texas Tech broke its promises, he told the newspaper.
"He kept it real right from the beginning," Williams said. "He told me the pros and cons about everything. He told me the good and the bad. And [Tulane] had more pros."
Johnson told the newspaper that the Williams "family is magnificent. They made a family decision. They rolled with the family."
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 35 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 47 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
39 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos