Michigan's backup QB Bellomy has torn ACL
Michigan backup quarterback Russell Bellomy has a torn ACL and will be out indefinitely, the Wolverines announced on Monday.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan backup quarterback Russell Bellomy has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee and will be out indefinitely, the Wolverines announced on Monday.
Bellomy, a redshirt sophomore, suffered the injury in Friday's practice.
The Wolverines now are dangerously thin at quarterback, with only starter Devin Gardner and redshirt freshman walk-on Brian Cleary available for the remainder of the spring. Four-star prospect Shane Morris will join them in the fall, when he is expected to battle Bellomy for the No. 2 job.
"It's unfortunate, especially for a kid who battled through a tough injury last season and was having a really good spring," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a statement. "We'll continue to support Russell and look forward to having him back on the field."
Bellomy appeared in five games last season. Coming on in relief against Nebraska for an injured Denard Robinson, his 3-for-16, four-interception performance triggered Gardner's return from wide receiver to quarterback, where he had started his Michigan career.
Morris, ESPN's No. 8 pocket-passing quarterback recruit, had hoped to enroll early, but because his private school didn't allow him to take online courses, he wasn't able to do so. Any chance he might have had to redshirt now looks unlikely.
The coaches praised Cleary's practice work throughout last season, but they also never had to call on him. His spring reps suddenly take on greater importance.
Bellomy's injury is the Wolverines' second ACL tear of spring practice. Starting linebacker Jake Ryan, Michigan's leading tackler last season, suffered a torn ACL just days into spring ball.
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 33 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 28 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos