Tulsa formally accepts invitation of Big East
Tulsa officials say they've accepted an invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference beginning in 2014.TULSA, Okla. -- Tulsa officials say they've accepted an invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference beginning in 2014.
The Golden Hurricane, who joined Conference USA in 2005 after leaving the WAC, won last year's football championship in the league and recently won the women's basketball tournament title while hosting both hoops tourneys. The school announced the decision Tuesday.
The renamed Big East will have 12 members in 2015 when Navy joins for football only. Among that group will be seven ex-Conference USA teams: Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina, Central Florida, SMU, Houston and basketball power Memphis.
Last week, Tulsa hired Derrick Gragg as its new athletic director. He replaces Ross Parmley, who was fired amid gambling allegations.
The school participates in 18 intercollegiate sports.
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 45 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 57 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos