Tulsa formally accepts invitation of Big East
Tulsa officials say they've accepted an invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference beginning in 2014.TULSA, Okla. -- Tulsa officials say they've accepted an invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference beginning in 2014.
The Golden Hurricane, who joined Conference USA in 2005 after leaving the WAC, won last year's football championship in the league and recently won the women's basketball tournament title while hosting both hoops tourneys. The school announced the decision Tuesday.
The renamed Big East will have 12 members in 2015 when Navy joins for football only. Among that group will be seven ex-Conference USA teams: Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina, Central Florida, SMU, Houston and basketball power Memphis.
Last week, Tulsa hired Derrick Gragg as its new athletic director. He replaces Ross Parmley, who was fired amid gambling allegations.
The school participates in 18 intercollegiate sports.
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 27 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos