Florida defensive line coach Young resigns
Florida defensive line coach Bryant Young, a member of Will Muschamp's inaugural staff, resigned Wednesday afternoon citing personal reasons.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida defensive line coach Bryant Young, a member of Will Muschamp's inaugural staff, resigned Wednesday citing personal reasons.
"After heavy consideration and giving over two decades to the game of football, I have made a personal decision to resign from my position at the University of Florida in order to pursue more time with my family," Young said in a statement. "I am humbled by and grateful for the opportunity I have had to positively influence the hardworking student-athletes and young men whom I will surely miss.
"However, I have come to the realization that it is time to invest more in my family during this fleeting season in life. I have truly loved my time being a Gator, enjoyed a great working relationship with coach Muschamp and will also miss the dedicated staff at this university."
Young joined Florida's staff in 2011 after spending a year at San Jose State (2010) and a year at Notre Dame (2009). He assisted then-defensive coordinator Dan Quinn along the defensive line. Quinn resigned after last season to become the defensive coordinator with the Seattle Seahawks.
Muschamp promoted linebackers coach D.J. Durkin to defensive coordinator and hired Brad Lawing away from South Carolina to replace Quinn and work with Young.
Young spent 14 seasons in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers and retired after the 2007 season with 89.5 sacks. He was the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1994, made four Pro Bowls and was named to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1990s.
"We are very thankful for coach Young's contributions to the program and I respect his decision," Muschamp said in a statement. "This is strictly a personal decision and has nothing to do with NCAA compliance, but just an opportunity to evaluate his future path."
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 54 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 47 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Building under demolition collapses in Old...
35 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos