D-lineman at Columbia charged with hate crime
Chad Washington, a junior defensive lineman for Columbia, has been charged with a hate crime after he allegedly threatened another student and called him racial slurs, NBC New York reported Wednesday.Chad Washington, a defensive lineman for Columbia, has been charged with a hate crime after he allegedly threatened another student and called him racial slurs, NBC New York reported Wednesday.
According to law-enforcement officials, Washington began heckling two women the victim was with early Sunday morning in New York. When the victim, a 19-year-old Asian, tried to defend the women, Washington allegedly called him slurs, started following him, pushed him against a wall and grabbed his collar, police said.
Washington was taken into custody Tuesday and faces a misdemeanor charge of aggravated harassment as a hate crime, according to NBC New York. He didn't enter a plea Wednesday at his arraignment and was released without bail.
Washington is due back in court on July 8.
"The allegations do not accurately portray the events that occurred," Washington's attorney, Daniel Fetterman, said in a statement Wednesday. "When all the facts come out, it will be clear that Mr. Washington did not commit a hate crime, and he will be vindicated."
School officials at Columbia said they could not comment on the investigation.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos