UNC, Gamecocks have 2015 date in Charlotte
North Carolina will play South Carolina on Sept. 5, 2015, at Bank of America Stadium, the site of the Dr Pepper ACC Championship game, the Charlotte Sports Foundation announced on Thursday.
North Carolina will play South Carolina on Sept. 5, 2015, at Bank of America Stadium, the site of the Dr Pepper ACC Championship game, the Charlotte Sports Foundation announced Thursday.
UNC and South Carolina are also set to open the 2013 season at South Carolina on Aug. 29 in a nationally televised ESPN game. The two programs used to play regularly but have not met since 2007. UNC leads the series 34-18-4.
"We are extremely excited to bring these national football powers and regional rivals together in Charlotte for college football," Will Webb, executive director of the Charlotte Sports Foundation, said in a statement. "Both North Carolina and South Carolina have a strong alumni presence in the region. This will be a tremendous game featuring a marquee matchup of ACC and SEC teams. We look forward to hosting the Tar Heel and Gamecock teams and fans in Charlotte."
The agreement between the two schools and conferences could be a foreshadowing of a potential ACC-SEC matchup in the Belk Bowl, which is also run by the Charlotte Sports Foundation in Bank of America Stadium. With the College Football Playoff beginning in 2014, the ACC is in the process of restructuring its bowl lineup. A source said last week that the Belk Bowl is interested in an ACC-SEC matchup in the future.
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos