USC extends series with Notre Dame, adds BYU
The USC-Notre Dame rivalry will live on, at least through 2023.
The USC-Notre Dame rivalry will live on -- at least through 2023.
Both schools have agreed to extend the annual meeting and the Trojans also announced a three-game series with another independent, BYU, starting in 2019. The Trojans will travel to Provo, Utah, in 2019 and then host BYU in 2021 and 2023. The teams have met twice, with USC winning both games in 2003 and 2004.
USC also added home games against Idaho and Arkansas State (2015) and New Mexico (2016). Nonconference games already on USC's future slate include Texas, Fresno State and Boston College.
The Trojans will have seven home games in eight of the next 11 seasons.
"Not only are we pleased to be able to extend our storied series with Notre Dame, but we were able to keep the game on the traditional dates of Thanksgiving weekend in Los Angeles and mid-October in South Bend," said USC athletic director Pat Haden in a statement. "Adding the series with BYU, which is a great match-up for the fans of both teams and for all college football fans, helped us in that regard.
"The new Pac-12 scheduling format, which precludes scheduling a game the first weekend of December because of the Pac-12 Championship Game, has presented issues as we move forward with our football scheduling. We want to have as many home games as possible each year for our fans and we also want to have a bye week every season, so some of our non-conference scheduling options now are more limited. But, as we continue to fill out our future schedules, we believe we will have a challenging mix of nonconference opponents in the upcoming years."
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 28 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 25 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos