Nebraska kicks off Suttles, Brown after incident
Nebraska freshman defensive end Ernest Suttles has been kicked off the team after being ticketed for misdemeanor assault for allegedly striking linebacker David Santos in the head with a bottle at a party last week.
OMAHA, Neb. -- Nebraska freshman defensive end Ernest Suttles has been kicked off the team after being ticketed for misdemeanor assault for allegedly striking linebacker David Santos in the head with a bottle at a party last week.
Coach Bo Pelini announced the dismissals of Suttles and linebacker Thomas Brown on Thursday night. Pelini did not give a reason in a statement released by the athletic department. Lincoln Police Capt. Danny Reitan said there was no record of Brown being connected to the alleged assault.
Suttles, from Tampa., Fla., was a highly regarded recruit. Pelini had said in February that Suttles had a chance to be an immediate contributor.
Reitan said a fight broke out during a party at a residence last Friday and that Suttles struck Santos in the forehead with a bottle. Reitan said it wasn't known whether Santos required medical treatment. Suttles was ticketed Wednesday.
The university's athletic department said in a statement it was "aware of an incident involving student-athletes which occurred off campus over the weekend." The athletic department said it was working with the university's Dean of Students to gather details.
Suttles starred at Gaither High School in Tampa, with 31 of his 88 tackles for loss. He was ranked among the top 100 high school players in Florida and chose the Huskers over Tennessee, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and West Virginia.
Brown, from Gardena, Calif., was to be a redshirt freshman this season. He was expected to contend for playing time at linebacker and was ranked among the top 75 prospects in California in 2012.
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine
40 min ago