Hoke invites fan who called cancer 'Michigan'
The 12-year-old Ohio State fan who named his cancer "Michigan" will attend the rivals' late November game as a guest of Wolverines coach Brady Hoke.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The 12-year-old Ohio State fan who named his cancer "Michigan" will attend the rivals' late November game as a guest of Wolverines coach Brady Hoke.
Hoke offered Grant Reed tickets to this year's matchup -- the rivalry is known as "The Game" -- in Ann Arbor. A Michigan spokesman confirmed that Hoke called Reed and his family Monday.
Columbus, Ohio, TV station WCMH reported Reed finished his final chemotherapy treatment a couple of weeks ago. Reed's father, Troy, told the station his son gladly accepted Hoke's offer.
"He gave a very clear yes -- he's very excited," Troy said, according to the TV station.
When Grant was diagnosed with cancer less than two years ago, he chose to name his disease Michigan. He wanted to beat it -- and he has.
"There was no way we could have pulled off getting tickets otherwise," Troy said of Hoke's invitation.
According to the TV report, the Rotary Club of Jackson, Mich., has offered to pay for the Reeds' hotel.
"It's getting hard to keep my dislike for them, because they've been so classy and unbelievable to us," said Troy, a former member of the Buckeyes' marching band. "But it won't be hard to cheer for the Buckeyes."Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 43 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos