Ark.-Pine Bluff linebacker killed in shooting
The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff says a freshman walk-on linebacker was shot to death outside his home in Louisiana.
PINE BLUFF, Ark. -- The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff says a freshman walk-on linebacker was shot to death outside his home in Louisiana.
The university says 20-year-old Lydell Hartford Jr. died early Tuesday at his home in Waggaman, La. Authorities say Hartford was fatally shot by a 16-year-old friend who was playing with a gun.
The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office says the teen apparently thought the gun was unloaded when he squeezed the trigger several times. Hartford was killed by a gunshot wound to the neck. The boy was arrested on a negligent homicide charge.
Defensive coordinator Earl Buckingham says the team is mourning the loss. Buckingham says Hartford was a "good kid" who loved playing for the Golden Lions.
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 6 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 41 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 32 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
49 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos