S. Carolina: No Jay Z benefits for Clowney
South Carolina has determined that contact between star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and rapper/sports agent Jay Z did not violate any NCAA rules.
"Based on the facts that USC has gathered, Jadeveon Clowney has not had any impermissible conversations nor has he received any impermissible benefits," wrote Steve Fink, South Carolina's assistant director of athletics for media relations, in a handwritten news release.
South Carolina's compliance office had been investigating Clowney, Fink told NFL.com earlier this week.
Any contact with Jay Z would not necessarily jeopardize Clowney's eligibility this season. Under NCAA rules, student-athletes are allowed to speak to and socialize with agents as long as the players pay for all their own costs, including transportation and meals.
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier told ESPN on Tuesday that Clowney has a good understanding of NCAA rules.
"All of our conversations [with Clowney] are wait until you have played your last game at South Carolina," Spurrier said. "When the bowl game is over this coming season, he's free to accept any amount of money anybody wants to give him. But until then, he has to be a student-athlete like all the other guys or he's not going to be eligible. He's done a good job of knowing that."
Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports represents New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder, Geno Smith of the New York Jets and Skylar Diggins of the WNBA's Tulsa Shock.
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 12 min ago
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 5 min ago
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane condo
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Crews investigate hazmat situation at Philadelphia hotel
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW...
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos