Texas QB Brewer transferring to Arizona
Former Texas quarterback Connor Brewer is headed to Arizona.
Former Texas quarterback Connor Brewer announced on Twitter on Monday night that he is transferring to Arizona. He will be eligible to play for the Wildcats in 2014 and have three years of eligibility.
I have committed to the University of Arizona! So excited to play for Coach Rodriguez! More great things to come for this program soon— Connor Brewer (@ConnorBrewer7) July 30, 2013
After announcing earlier this month that he intended to transfer, Brewer told ESPN's Joe Schad that Alabama, Notre Dame, Stanford, Louisville, UCLA, Arizona and Tennessee had immediately reached out to express interest in him.
Arizona did have one advantage over the others in this process: Charlie Ragle, Brewer's former head coach at Chaparral High School in Scottsdale, Ariz., is the Wildcats' new tight ends and special teams coach. He'll also be joined at Arizona by former Chaparral teammate Davonte' Neal, a wide receiver who transferred to Arizona in April after one year at Notre Dame.
"We ran a very similar offense at my high school and it worked really well for me then," Brewer told Schad. "I like the coaches, facilities, and the program is doing great things. I'm just excited to get on the field and do what I love."
Brewer was the nation's No. 7-ranked quarterback prospect in 2012 after leading Chaparral to three straight state titles and throwing a state-record 100 touchdown passes. He had offers from numerous programs, including Alabama, USC and Notre Dame, before deciding to play at Texas.
Brewer said he nearly transferred to Alabama because "I love everything over there. In the end, staying here close to home was a great thing."
Brewer redshirted in his first year with the Longhorns last season and was competing with senior Case McCoy and true freshman Tyrone Swoopes as the No. 2 quarterback before announcing his intentions to transfer on July 10.
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 18 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 15 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 21 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 5 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
8 min ago
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos