Terps RB Brown suspended for 2013 season
Maryland running back Wes Brown, who was suspended indefinitely last month after he was arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer, has been suspended for the 2013 season, the school announced Friday.
Maryland running back Wes Brown, who was suspended indefinitely last month after he was arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer, has been suspended for the entire season, the school announced Friday.
"We support the University of Maryland's decision," coach Randy Edsall said in a statement. "I have spoken with Wes. He accepts the sanctions and understands what is expected of him moving forward."
Earlier this week, prosecutors announced they would drop the charges against Brown because they believe he was resisting an unlawful arrest, something he is permitted to do.
A Baltimore Police spokesman told The Associated Press earlier this week that Brown remained a suspect in a non-fatal shooting in the city in June. Brown's attorney, Jason Shapiro, told The Washington Post that Brown was not involved in the incident.
Shapiro also told The Post that Brown's suspension could be shortened to one semester if his client meets unspecified "benchmarks."
"I will tell you, Wes is looking forward to hitting all of those benchmarks," Shapiro told the newspaper. "He has accepted full responsibility for any of his actions, despite the fact that, as the state's attorney's office states, his actions were predicated upon an attempted unlawful arrest. He is still accepting the university's punishment regarding his behavior."
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 43 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 22 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 26 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos