Gators suspend Purifoy, 4 more for opener
Loucheiz Purifoy is one of five players for the No. 10 Florida Gators who will be suspended for Saturday's season opener against Toledo.
Purifoy, who starts at cornerback but is also expected to see plays on offense and special teams, was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules, the school confirmed Saturday. Jaylen Watkins will start in place of Purifoy.
Also suspended are defensive tackle Darious Cummings, wide receiver Latroy Pittman, and offensive lineman Quinteze Williams, the Sun reported. The university on Saturday denied that Jay-nard Bostwick was also suspended as earlier reports had stated and that the defensive tackle is expected to play.
Starting linebacker Antonio Morrison was previously suspended following two arrests this summer.
Morrison was arrested June 16 for allegedly punching a bouncer, an incident in which he reportedly told the victim, "I am Antonio," before he punched him. Morrison received deferred prosecution on the simple battery charge, a deal in which he was ordered to stay out of trouble for six months.
He was jailed again July 20 and charged with barking at a police dog and resisting arrest. Those charges were dismissed a few days later.
Edward Aschoff and Jeff Barlis of ESPN.com contributed to this report.
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 36 min ago
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos