NC State loses QB Mitchell to foot injury
NC State turned to Brandon Mitchell as its starting quarterback in the season opener against Louisiana Tech only to lose the Arkansas transfer to an early left foot injury.
The injury will require surgery and Mitchell could miss 4-6 weeks, NC State coach Dave Doeren said after the game.
Mitchell, who transferred from Arkansas, directed the Wolfpack to touchdowns on the first two possessions before he was hurt when he was stopped on a third-and-1 keeper on his third series. Mitchell headed to the locker room.
He returned to the sideline without his pads late in the first half, using crutches and wearing a protective boot on his left foot.
The school announced shortly before kickoff that Mitchell would start the first game. He had been competing with Colorado State junior transfer Pete Thomas, who took over after Mitchell's departure.
NC State won 40-14 in Doeren's debut.
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 39 min ago
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche 58 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 4 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry 24 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Twins escape carjacker by yelling, hitting... 7 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
4 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos