Saban: Bell will return after 'personal day'
Alabama coach Nick Saban said he gave wide receiver Kenny Bell a "personal day" from practice on Tuesday but expected him to miss only one day.
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban said he gave wide receiver Kenny Bell a "personal day" from practice on Tuesday but expected him to miss only one day.
"Sometimes we have personal things to get ironed out, and today he had a day to do that," Saban said. "So there's really nothing else to talk about when it comes to that."
Saban, though, did elaborate on the situation later during his news conference.
"He came and we had a discussion," he explained. "There were some personal things he had to iron out and I think he talked to his family about it. I talked to his mom. And we talked again today.
"I want Kenny to be happy. I would love for him to be a part of the team if he can be happy doing that relative to any other personal responsibilities that he has."
A post on Bell's Twitter page Tuesday afternoon claimed "it's been a nice run but I'm hanging up my cleats," saying he wanted to focus on taking care of his kids.
Later, though, an update was posted, referring to quarterback AJ McCarron: "I'm back with the team!! Just needed time to myself for a day but I couldn't leave my boy @10AJMcCarron we ended this run together."
Bell, who redshirted in 2009 and had a minimal role in 2010, saw his role increase in 2011 and 2012, when he had 17 receptions and 431 yards before breaking his leg in the Iron Bowl.
"We're fully behind Kenny. That's like my brother. I speak to him everyday. I spoke with him today," senior cornerback John Fulton told al.com. "He had a personal day for a great guy to take care of his children, things like that. He's a great guy."
Bell told reporters before the season that he was back to 100 percent and touted the offense's growth from a year ago.
Information from TideNation's Alex Scarborough and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings 59 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 41 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 45 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 26 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos