Texas, USC tumble out of AP poll with losses
Texas and Southern California have dropped out of The Associated Press college football poll after ugly losses and Miami jumped in at No. 15 after its biggest victory in a while.
NEW YORK -- These are troubling times for Texas and USC. Eight seasons after the Longhorns and Trojans played one of the greatest games in college football history for the national championship in the Rose Bowl, they now appear to be in crisis.
After ugly losses Saturday night, both dropped out of the AP Top 25 on Sunday, yet another indignity for two proud programs searching for answers.
Alabama is still No. 1 after an off week, heading into a much-anticipated rematch with No. 6 Texas A&M on Saturday.
Oregon is No. 2. Clemson moved up a spot to No. 3 and Ohio State slipped one to No. 4. Stanford remains No. 5.
The Longhorns (1-1) came into the week No. 15 but were stomped 40-21 by BYU. The Cougars ran for 550 yards, the most ever allowed by Texas. The debacle led Texas coach Mack Brown to reassign defensive coordinator Manny Diaz on Sunday and replace him with former Texas defensive coordinator Greg Robinson.
"Our performance on defense last night was unacceptable, and we need to change that," Brown said.
USC (1-1) was No. 25 before a 10-7 loss at home to Washington State. The Trojans look helpless offensively and fans are blaming fourth-year coach Lane Kiffin.
Michigan's 41-30 victory against Notre Dame jumped the Wolverines six spots in the rankings to No. 11.
No. 21 Notre Dame and No. 13 South Carolina both dropped seven spots after losing the week's biggest games. The Gamecocks were beaten 41-30 at Georgia.
"We're struggling on defense," South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said. "It's sort of sad watching."
Miami is ranked for the first time since November 2010. The Hurricanes jumped all the way to No. 15 after beating Florida 21-16. The Gators slipped six spots to No. 18.
No. 25 Mississippi also moved into the poll, the first time it has been ranked since the final 2009 poll.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 42 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos