Former Texas QB James Street, 65, dies
Former University of Texas quarterback James Street has died, the school confirmed Monday.
AUSTIN, Texas -- Former University of Texas quarterback James Street has died, the school confirmed Monday.
As the operator of Darrell K. Royal's famed Wishbone offense, Street led the Longhorns to a national championship in 1969. The cause of his death was not immediately known. Street was 65.
"Very sad day as we lost college FB great, good friend & wonderful man with passing of James Street," Longhorns coach Mack Brown announced on his Twitter account. "Our thoughts & prayers are with Janie & family."
Street made his first career start two games into his junior season in 1968 and went 20-0, with a Cotton Bowl Classic victory over Notre Dame in 1969 and a win over Arkansas in the matchup billed as the "Game of the Century."
Street clinched victory for the top-ranked Longhorns in "The Big Shootout" with a 52-yard touchdown run and then one of the great plays in school history, "Right 53 Veer pass." On fourth-and-3 late in the fourth quarter, Street connected with a double-covered Randy Peschel for a 44-yard pass. Texas would score two plays later and win 15-14.
He was also a two-sport star at Texas. Street won two Southwest Conference titles as a member of the baseball program and tossed two no-hitters in his college career.
Prior to his death, Street continued to live in Austin, Texas, and ran a company that manages structured settlements. He is survived by his wife and five sons.
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 53 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos